Practice Areas: Criminal Defence, Actions Against The Police, Regulatory Work/Tribunal, Public Law
Imran has been a practicing solicitor since 1991. He is one of the Founding members of the firm and is Joint Head of the Criminal Defence, Actions Against the Police and Public Law Departments (Inquests, Judicial Reviews and Public Inquiries). He is probably best known for his representation of the family of Stephen Lawrence during the private prosecution, inquest and public inquiry into Stephen’s murder.
Imran is a highly experienced Higher Rights Advocate (HRA) appearing at the Old Bailey and other Crown Courts in London and the U.K regularly leading in cases involving murder, terrorism and other serious offences.
Chambers and Partners’ 2013 entry about Imran indicates his place as a leader in the field of human rights and criminal law: “[Imran Khan’s] ‘doggedly determined’ approach, allied to his client support skills, has earned him an excellent reputation. His well-publicised work on the Stephen Lawrence case contributed to the establishment of an inquiry into the murder, and sources unanimously proclaim him to be a “dedicated and hard-working” human rights and criminal lawyer.”
Chambers and Partners 2015 entry states that Imran is “well regarded by peers and is recognised for his significant experience handling high-profile and sensitive cases. His areas of capability include advising clients in relation to charges of terrorism and homicide”.
Chambers and Partners 2017 entry states: “Experienced advocate Imran Khan frequently acts on heavyweight criminal cases, offering significant expertise in terrorism charges and homicide. He is described as an “outstanding” lawyer and draws praise for his adept handling of particularly complex cases.”
Imran is fluent in Urdu.
Telephone number: 020 7404 3004
- Representing AA, as Instructed Advocate, who is charged with possession of terrorism material and engaging in conduct in preparation for terrorist acts.
- Representing MA, as Instructed Advocate, who is charged with failing to disclose information in relation to terrorism.
- Representing RB, as Instructed Advocate, who is charged (with others) with conspiracy to murder and engaging in conduct in preparation for terrorist acts.
- Representing, with Kate Ellis of the firm, and others, General Abdulwaheed Shannan Al Rabbat in his claim for judicial review against Westminster Magistrates Court’s refusal to issue summonses against Tony Blair, Jack Straw and Lord Goldsmith for the crime of aggression in relation to the Iraq war.
- Representing Mohammed Mayow at the Old Bailey as Instructed Advocate. Mohammed Mayow was sentenced for disseminating terrorist material by the use of Twitter.
- Representing Maruf Uddin at his trial at the Old Bailey, instructed as Advocate by Mian & Co Solicitors, charged with three others in relation to funding for terrorism (to Syria). Uddin alone was acquitted.
- Representing as Instructed Advocate an ex-Daily Mirror journalist at his trial at the Old Bailey for conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office as part of Operation Elveden – the Metropolitan Police investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials.
- Acting for Fawaz Al Attiya, previously Official Spokesperson of Qatar, as the Claimant in an action in the High Court against the ex-Prime Minister of Qatar, Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, for assault and false imprisonment arising out of his detention in Qatar between October 2009 and January 2011, as well as trespass to his lands and goods and conversion of property.
- Involved in representing (and acting as Instructed Advocate), with others in the firm, various Core Participants at the Inquiry Into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA).
- Involved in representing, with others in the firm, Baroness Doreen Lawrence, Suresh Grover and The Monitoring Group and the Blacklist Support Group, as Core Participants in the Undercover Police Inquiry chaired by Lord Justice Pitchford (UCPI).
- Representing, and acting as Instructed Advocate, Plastic Surgeon at a Fitness to Practise Panel hearing on charges brought by the General Medical Council.
- Representing a school pupil in a claim for Judicial Review challenging the legality of the governments Prevent Strategy.